The Gottman Method for Couples Counselling is entirely research based and has been proven to be a highly effective therapy for couples. We recommend marathon counselling, however some couples will prefer regular weekly sessions. Using the Gottman model for regular sessions the first 4 sessions of therapy will be assessment sessions.
The following structure is recommended for therapy;
- Session 1 is 80 minutes and includes a Gottman Relationship Check-Up, which is an online assessment that you and your partner complete, that usually takes between 60-90 minutes.
- Session 2 and 3 are individual sessions and are 50 minutes each. These are an opportunity to speak about your own emotional and mental state, background and perspective on your relationship.
- Session 4 is 120 minutes and will provide you and your partner with the results of the assessments so that you both have a thorougher understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of your relationship, and can also agree on a plan for which areas to address first in counselling.
- All remaining sessions are 120 minutes as this allows sufficient time to process issues within a session.
- The Gottman Institute recommends at least 17 hours of therapy, in addition to the assessment sessions, for the basics of therapy to be covered.