The Gottman Method for Couples Counselling is entirely research based and has been proven to be a highly effective therapy for couples. We recommend marathon counselling, however some couples will prefer regular weekly sessions. Using the Gottman model for regular sessions the first 4 sessions of therapy will be assessment sessions.
The following structure will be used for your therapy;
- Session 1 is 80 minutes and includes a Gottman Relationship Check-Up, which is an online assessment that you and your partner complete, that usually takes between 60-90 minutes.
- Session 2 and 3 are individual sessions and are 50 minutes each. These are an opportunity to speak about your own emotional and mental state, background and perspective on your relationship.
- Session 4 is 50 minutes and will provide you and your partner with the results of the assessments so that you both have a thorougher understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of your relationship, and can also agree on a plan for which areas to address first in counselling.
- Following your assessment sessions you will need lounger sessions, lasting 120 minutes, to help get your relationship back on track. At some point it will be possible to reduce session length to 50-60 minutes.
- The Gottman Institute recommends at least 17 hours of therapy, in addition to the assessment sessions, for the basics of therapy to be covered.